[Advaita-l] Acceptance of the validity of shruti is only *faith*

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Fri May 18 14:06:27 CDT 2007

Dear Sr Muthy,

Anubhava is used in 2 different ways, and entirely is dependent on
context. No one disputed that anubhava can be used in the sense of
brahman/brahman realization. I have also noted this in a foot-note in
my paper. However, the passage under consideration which sparked this
whole discussion says that anubhava is a *tool* for brahma-jij~naasaa.
If anubhava is brahman-knowledge already, then where is the question
of jij~naasaa - or desire to know? This is stated by me explicitly in
my paper.

This is not anything which SSS disagrees with, or I am saying SSS is
wrong about, as he quite clearly says (quoted also in my paper) with
regard to this passage from BSB 1.1.2:

See \cite{SSSSalientFeatures} pp.~14, ``The original Sanskrit term
(anubhava) covers the whole  range of sensuous experience, psychic
experience as well as supramental intuition by means of which we
directly intuit the three states of waking, dream and deep-sleep.'''

The above passage is written by SSS himself in English, you can verify
the quote using the page number given.

If anubhava in this context means brahman itself where is the question
of 2 or 3 or whatever number of states? That would be a mockery of
ekameva-advitiiyam. Further, where is even the question of mental or
supramental or sensuos or psychic? And as far as I can see SSS does
not say anubhava is brahman in *this* context. The context is the key.

What I did dispute was whether anubhava in this context is just the
"three states", or if it includes kaarya-kaaraNa-ananyatva AND others,
as is explicitly stated by shankara. Please see my paper for details.

Rama