[Advaita-l] SSS: Anantanand Rambachans Study

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed May 9 21:17:58 CDT 2007

Kathirasan wrote:

>The reason why modern scholars attributed the anubhava to a mystical
>experience could be due to a subsequent development that took place
>after Vacaspati Mishra's Bhamati (9th century CE). In the Bhamati one
>would find probably the first time in the Vedanta tradition the equation
>of 'anubhava' to Patanjali Yoga's Samadhi. Subsequent authors who used
>the Bhamati as an authority could have interpreted anubhava from this
>angle and developed further. This could have also given rise to the
>Nirvikalpa and Savikalpa Samadhi teachings in Vedanta. So what is termed

I beg to differ. There are numerous places within the brahmasUtra and its
bhAshya and also in the gItAbhAshya, where the word samAdhi directly means
Atman, especially in the context of descriptions of Atman as pure
consciousness (cit / bodha / anubhava). The words nirvikalpa and
nirvikalpaka are also used to describe brahman and/or Atman, both by
gauDapAda and by Sankara (same two bhAshya-s quoted above).

Not having particularly studied the bhAmatI, I am not sure whether vAcaspati
miSra does bring the discussion of anubhava in vedAnta close to pAtanjala
yoga, but I can say this much - vAcaspati miSra was a prodigious scholar,
who wrote on a wide variety of philosophical subjects, including
nyAya-vaiSeshika, sAMkhya, yoga, mImAMsA and vedAnta. His works in each
genre have been considered masterpieces and I have read numerous scholarly
articles that reiterate that vAcaspati was particularly adept at keeping
each of his works true to its particular philosophical system. In other
words, he is a naiyyAyika when he writes about nyAya, a mImAMsaka when he
writes about mImAMsA, and so on. I find it hard to believe that he would
have conflated anubhava in Sankara's bhAshya with samAdhi in dualistic yoga.
I also find it a tad too convenient, to hold vAcaspati miSra or padmapAda
responsible, when one's own reconstruction of Sankaran advaita vedAnta seems
to depart from what traditional teachers and pundits have to say.

I find that what is happening is something like this -

Those who have been steeped in the advaita vedAnta tradition, whether from
the 8th century or the 20th century, find no problem with using terms like
yoga, dhyAna and samAdhi, when they talk or write about vedAnta. There is
some overlap with pAtanjala yoga, but the points of departure from yoga are
very clear in their writings. The word yoga is itself used heavily, along
with words derived from the yoga school of thought, such as praNidhAna,
dhAraNA etc. Thus, even Sankara bhagavatpAda himself says that yogins see
brahman through bhakti, dhyAna and praNidhana (brahmasUtra bhAshya 3.2.24 -
api samrAdhane ...), while sureSvarAcArya talks about the need for
yoga-abhyAsa after saMnyAsa and salutes Sankara as a yogin (yaS Sankaro
'vApa yogAt - naishkarmyasiddhi).

Those who came to the advaita vedAnta tradition from the perspective of what
is today called neo-Vedanta (e.g. Swami Vivekananda, Paramahamsa Yogananda
etc) also find no problem with these terms, but they attach a different
meaning to it. More specifically, they hold that the truth taught in Sruti
needs verification through an experience of samAdhi.

The difference between the above two groups is mainly one of their attitude
towards Sruti and how they factor it into their philosophies. Members of the
first group truly uphold that Sruti is svataH-pramANa, while members of the
second group either assume that the prAmANya of Sruti gets bolstered by the
yogic experience, or they subordinate Sruti to the yogic experience.

A third group of people, who want to go back to Sankara's bhAshyas only,
over-react whenever they see the words yoga/dhyAna/samAdhi, and ignore or
tend to "explain away" what Sankara himself says about it. Moreover, they
uncritically conflate the above two groups of people. In their anxiety to
save Sruti prAmANya from the neo-vedAntic construction of the verificatory
nature of nirvikalpa samAdhi and in their attempt to purge advaita vedAnta
of developments from the post-Sankaran vivaraNa and bhAmatI sub-schools,
they assume that both the traditional vedAntin and the neo vedAntin thinks
of yoga and vedAnta in the same way. The actual situation is far different.
For whatever it is worth, I had tried to highlight several significant
quotations about yoga, samAdhi etc. from Sankara's bhAshyas in the Yoga and
Advaita Vedanta series that I posted a few months ago (between Sep 06 and
Feb 07).

>interpreted anubhava from this angle and developed further. This could have
>also given rise to the
>Nirvikalpa and Savikalpa Samadhi teachings in Vedanta. So what is termed as
>modern interpretation
>may not be that modern after all. In fact, the views of Sri Abhinava Vidya
>Teertha can be said to >be modern when compared with the Anubhava that
>Anantanand explains in this book with the >necessary support from
>Shankara's bhashyas.

I assume you are referring to such publications as "Yoga, enlightenment and
perfection", containing accounts of the dialogues between the Acharya and a
disciple. I think you are ignoring the cautionary statement that Swami
Abhinava Vidyatirtha made in the course of the dialogue, namely that
ultimately nirvikalpa samAdhi is merely a yogic experience and that one
should not mistake it for what vedAnta describes as being ever established
in brahman. This statement is no doubt easy to miss, among the numerous
pages describing the various yogic visions experienced by the Acharya, but
it is extremely significant. His teaching is in no way "modern" as
understood in this context.

With all due respect to Anantanand Rambachan (and for the record, I like his
book very much), the difference between one who does an academic study of
Sankara's works and one who lives and breathes advaita vedAnta is the
following. The former thinks that Sankara was like a university professor of
philosophy and thinks that both the traditional and neo vedAntins have
deviated from Sankara. The latter uses yoga as an upAya, in line with what
Sankara describes as "tattva-darSana abhyupAyo yogaH", "upakurvantu"
(sUtrabhAshya 2.1.3), "dhyAna-saMskRtena antaHkaraNena" (gItAbhAshya 13.24),
and following sureSvara's explicit teaching in naishkarmyasiddhi
(sarva-karma-tat-sAdhana-saMnyAsas, tato yogAbhyAsas, tataS cittasya
pratyak-pravaNatA, …).

Finally, those who defer to the vivaraNa and bhAmatI sub-traditions also
uphold the efficacy of Sabda pramANa, but I must point out that one cannot
truly be both a follower of vivaraNa and a follower of bhAmatI. There is a
mountain of difference between viewing the two sub-schools as *valid*
developments or interpretations of Sankaran teaching and holding them to be
*absolute*. One can differ from either or both of them and at the same time
frown upon a characterization of these schools as an andha-paramparA. There
is after all the traditional view, namely that their interpretations and
differences are prakriyA bheda only. I am deliberately using non-English
words here, to convey a point succinctly, without entering into another long
fruitless debate.

Best regards,
Vidyasankar Sundaresan