[Advaita-l] The deliberation on vidyA - avidyA in Advaita Vedanta

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Wed May 2 23:45:24 CDT 2007

Dear Sri Bhaskar

What is striking is that there is not much difference between the views of HH Sri Satchidanendra Sarasvati regarding avidyA as presented by Sri Ramakrishnan in the section 2 of his paper and as elaborated by you in your mail. Your post exposes the views of SSS in a way that one moves from one point to the another quite easily and effortlessly; please accept my compliments for such a lucid exposition.

I would not have noticed, but for Sri Ramakrishnan's paper, some critical turns / assertions, namely a) the naisargikatA of avidyA is made "natural to the mind" (which the bhagavatpAda does not say), not plain natural; b) lip service to SrutyanugrahIta tarka, but reliance on only that logic which supports anubhava; and c) using the terms of nyAya and mImAmsA freely but saying neither nyAya nor pUrva-mImAmsA is required, or worse, should not be used, under the pain of being branded sushka tarka. I also note that discussion of points b) and c) is not desired by you. However in any discussion, the pramANas, assumptions etc. must be agreed upon first, otherwise it is a waste of time and energy; and here there is a difference about the assumptions, standards (SrutyanugrahIta or anhubhavA~Nga tarka) and the tools to be used (nyAya, mimAmsA).

That being the case, would you care to explain how your assumptions are valid as per Sruti or SA~Nkara bhAshya?

Regards
Senani