[Advaita-l] Pramanas - Sruti vs. Anubhava

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 04:22:01 CDT 2007

Dear Sri Ramakrishnan

First and foremost, let me appreciate your excellent paper. I admire the forthright way in which you said SSS is wrong, and then took on the onerous task of writing this paper, which is profound, very well organised, scholarly, and presented using very nice-looking fonts. I did not understand the Paper fully in my first reading, and found that an iterative approach works best, but that reflects my situation rather than the paper.

I assumed that when SSS appends the adjective 'kingpin' to anubhava, he is referring to the pramANa more commonly known as pratyaksha and wanted to know further about it. Per your mail, pramANa is not to be understood as one of the three pramANas, but as a means of understanding / knowing Sruti.

The correct understanding of SSS's position, then is: anubhava is the kingpin amongst all the means of understanding / interpreting / knowing Sruti and that Sri SankarAchArya interprets Sruti in such a way that it is consistent with anubhava, which is the correct way to interpret.

Needless to mention, I don't think such a position is the correct one.

I owe the list an explanation for assuming pramANa to mean the usual pramANa, and to the followers of SSS who might feel that I have done great injustice to SSS by repeating in six or seven posts that SSS holds that anubhava is superior to Sruti.

1. I consciously avoiding definite statements and requested followers of SSS to 'reconcile' etc. and used qualifiers like "if that indeed is the teaching of SSS". However the question posed earlier to Mrs. Savithri as to how the context of the quotations of SSS helps is answered: by making it clear that SSS is interpreting anubhav as a pramANa to understand vedas, and not as one of the pramANas.

2. The burden of section 3.4 in the first version of Sri Ramakrishnan's paper (I am unable to download the latest version - there seems to be some problem in geocities) is that SSS subtly "downplays the importance of Sruti as a means of knowledge by itself" and implies that "Sruti is subsidiary to anubhava itself". This is what led me to assume that the anubhava referred to by SSS is the pramANa called pratyaksha, as it is a pramANa along with Sruti. A second, more careful reading, in light of the clarifications provided by Sri Ramakrishnan, shows that the mistake is mine, not the author's.

Now, for the specific replies.