[Advaita-l] to be and to have in Sanskrit

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 11:13:24 CDT 2007

Sri Werlings,

praNAm.

The Sanskrit root 'as' means 'to be', as in ahamasmi (I am); 'bhuj' means 'to have' in the senses of 'to eat', 'to consume', 'to possess', usually kingdom, lordship etc., 'to enjoy'. bhoktA - the enjoyer, is commonly used to convey the sense of ownership [of the fruit or result of an action] in vedanta.

The sense of 'to have' as in 'to possess' is conveyed by

a) the genitive case as in mama vAmahastah (my left hand),
b) the affix i~n (actually I am not sure about the right form of the affix, but it is the one we see in SankhI, chakrI, gadI, SAr~NgI, guNI etc. meaning the one with/having/possessing Sankha, chakra, gada, SAr~Nga, guNa etc.) and gives the sense of one possessing; with respect to body - deha - the transformation is to dehin (one with a deha)
c) the affix mayak as in SrImAn, SaktimAn, balavAn, buddhimatI etc. which mean one with wealth, power, strength, intellect etc.

The above are the most commonly used. There are 84 or so krit affixes (not being a pundit, I don't know all of them), a few of which in certain contexts convey the sense of 'to have'; many of the secondary affixes also convey that meaning; and then we have compounds doing the job sometime.

'to get' is the exact meaning of the root 'Ap' as in AtmA SarIramApnoti (the soul gets a body). There are a number of roots meaning 'gati' which usually mean 'to go' but frequently also mean reaching / obtaining / getting, when the object of the verb is knowledge.

To convey the sense of 'I possess a body, but I am not the body' a crude way to put would be 'asti mama dehah paramtu nAham dehah'; a better way would be 'aham dehI na tu dehah [asmi]', but usually the reflexive Atman is used in the context: ayam AtmA na dehah, na annah, na prANah, na manah, na vij~nAnah, suddhachaitanyameva [asti]. (This atma is not the body, not the anna, not the life breath, not the mind, not the knowledge; [it is] verily pure consciousness)

Where the first person, active voice is the preferred mode of expression in English; third person, passive voice is the preferred form in Sanskrit. When I write to my mother in Telugu, I write (due to the strong influence of Sanskrit on Telugu) along the lines of 'Having bowed to dear mother, it is being written by Senani'. This preference explains to some extent why we come across dehinah (the ones with body) or prANinah (the ones with the life breath) most commonly as equivalents of "to possess the body / prANa".

With the hope that what is foresaid is found useful by the asker, the one obedient to the learned rests. (Indian way of closing a letter :-))

Senani