[Advaita-l] Re: anubhava and anubhUti

Guy Werlings werlings.guy at wanadoo.fr
Sun Mar 25 12:44:43 CDT 2007

Dear SrI Srikanta,

Namaste |

Thank you for your e-mail. When starting to write down about a personal
reminiscence of a lecture I delivered a long time ago in Paris, I relied
only on my memory and did not look at my notes of those days.

anubhava and sArvatrika anubhava come exactly in line with the examples that
you are giving.

anubhUti appears in the Monnier-Williams as:     f. perception, knowledge
from any source but memory;

but the word is mostly linked to the word aparokSha in the title of the
famous treatise by San^karAcarya AparokSha anubhUti, where is seems to mean
the direct, immediate, intuitive experience or perception of the invisible -
the realization of Brahman. Thus anubhUti also seems to have the meaning of
"experience", but with a special emphasis on "realization".

VandanAni,

Guy