[Advaita-l] Advaita-l Digest, Vol 50, Issue 21 - anubhavAN^gaatvena

Guy Werlings werlings.guy at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jun 23 09:36:34 CDT 2007

Dear shrii Vidyasankar,

Thank you very much for your kind, rapid and precise answer as to
anubhavAN^gaatvena.

I understand, however, that according to the Monier-Williams, aN^gatva means
n. a state of subordination or dependance, the being of secondary
importance, the being unessential.

And this seems to me somewhat strange in the context. I had understood
anubhavAN^gaatvena tarkaH as "reasoning based upon experience" - not
"reasoning being of secondary importance to experience". Or should I
understanding it as "reasoning depending upon experience"?

I should be very grateful to know what the true purport according to you is.

A "secondary question": in your anwer you mention aN^gatvena as the
instrumental of aN^gatva,which I ought to know, but in the text in which I
read the expression it seems to have been "anubhavAN^gaatvena" with a long a
in °gaatvena - is this just a typo?

dhanyavAdaH |

Guy W.