[Advaita-l] Brief speech in Sanskrit

savithri devaraj savithri_devaraj at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 12 13:09:55 CDT 2007

Namaste,

In addition to the resources mentioned, it is good to
watch and understand the movie "Adi Shankaracharya" by
G.V.Iyer in Sanskrit without subtitles. There may be
other Sanskrit movies too. This would be good to pick
up conversational Sanskrit. Samskrita bhArati is doing
a lot of good work these days. (I believe this movie
is on Youtube also.)

I believe that to understand Shankara's original
bhAshyas correctly requires quite a rigorous and
disciplined study under a competent teacher.

Lack of standard terminology (overloaded use of words
like jnAna, avidya, mAya, yoga,...), use of figurative
speech, complexity of the topic, and the differing
abilities of the seeker further compound the issue. At
best, we might be able to come away with the lexical
meaning, but the semantic interpretation might still
be lost on us without a shrotriya brahmanishTa guru.
I am not saying we shouldn't try, but we should be
aware of the possible limitations.

Regards,
Savithri

--- GOPALAKRISHNA Sankaran <SGopalak at covansys.com>