[Advaita-l] Is vairAgya/renunciation a result of glumness??

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 07:05:59 CDT 2007

Namaste,

One possible approach is: Based on one's undesrtanding
of charitra of shrI rAma, or shrI kRSNa, one can ask
what would they do in such an event, may be
they would "inspire our intellect". After all this
is one of the important goals that maharSi vAlmiki,
and maharSi vyAsa have shought to achieve through
their works - practical demonstration of theory.

Regards,
Shrinivas

Now, tell me,  should I carry that sad feeling to
my house & by narrating the whole episode to my wife
(who does not even know the name of my departed
friend)
&  making her  also to grieve along with me & ruin the

whole happy atmosphere at home??  or should I leave
all my sorrows as soon as I comeout from the
crematorium & enjoy the evening movie with my wife &
kids with ice creams & pop corns ??

What would be the attitude/mental state  of a real
vairAgi in these *real life* situations??  Whether he
will just *act * (or pretend) according to the demands

of life *situation/circumstance*??  like,looking sad
& weepy guy at the cremation of his friend  & looking
joyful, wonderfully happy  husband when he is with
family !!  Or,  should he wear an apathetic,  granite
face with *no* feeling at all in both these
situations?? which is the right & appropriate mental
state here for a real vairAgi ??

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar