[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Is vairAgya/renunciation a result ofglumness??

Sukumar S C sukumar at tataelxsi.co.in
Mon Jul 23 06:54:47 CDT 2007

Pranam!

My view point is this:

The raaga/dwesha that we acquire are our vritti gyana - viz., happening in
our mind all the mind because of how we react in a situation.  The situation
as such happens due to our prarabdha.  So while the situations happens come
what may, it is our reaction which determines as to whether we are adding
load in the form of a agaami karma or we are coming out of it with only
nullifying our prarabdha at that particular moment.

Now, your situation is what we normally experience - may be the degree of
severeity is more/less.  I think that you are experiencing and undergoing
prarabdha by sulking inside and crying outside due to your dear ones fate
and the severety of grief is directly proportional to the viveka that you
have inculcated earlier and in your previous births. The more the viveka in
a right measure less the burden.   A true karmayogi, in my opinion is very
conscious of karmayoga and its effects and not concerned much about
situations.  This way, he may appear like a hypocrite or granite faced, but
he, being gyani, may not want to rake in and get entangle himself in
prarabdha.

I think it is best to avoid happy moments when the mind is not tuned in.  If
our dear ones have prarabdha then they will get curious and get to know the
fact and grieve after hearing the bad news.  It is better to be granite
faced and learn to cling on to the rope of vairagya than leaving it aside in
the name of hypocricy or some such thing without giving a try at all.  As
novices, we may look and feel awkward in the beginning and as experience
dawn on us we get used to handling various situations with vairagya.  In
fact it is the best possible way to combat grief.  Lord gives us such
situations to learn and adopt vairagya.  Why not the Smashaana Vairagya be
the pedestal?

thanks
sukumar