Raman Maharshi (was Re: RES: [Advaita-l] New member introduction: Asad Mustafa Rizvi)

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 06:21:25 CST 2007

I must say I disagree with calling RM a sphatika mani. It seems like
saying that RM had no philosophical ideas of his own. The
relation/common points that advaita (forget about RM) has with systems
such as mystical Christian traditions, sufism, etc, had already been
pointed out by Aldous Huxley, Schrodinger, etc., who had no idea of
RM. At least Schrodinger did not.

The best way to get an idea of what RM said is to read his works. He
was not a Sanskrit scholar, but knew enough Sanskrit to compose some
poetry. The bulk of his philosophical works are in Tamil verse and
poetry. Probably about half of them are translations of Shankaras
works such as VivekachUDAmaNI, etc. But the rest will show he was
nothing other than a classical advaitin. Examing shankara from his
works alone (we have no access to conversations), and comparing that
with some recorded dialogs of RM, is not an apples to apples
comparison.

Rama