[Advaita-l] shaDdarhana and other unorthodox schools

Ram Garib garib_ram at yahoo.co.in
Fri Jan 19 08:30:01 CST 2007

Sri S Jayanarayanan wrote:

> I too would like to know Ram Garib's source for
> stating that there
> exists such a "dominant" view -- what is the
> reference for his tall
> claim? After all, if it is such a widely prevalent
> view, surely he
> can cite at least 5 independently published sources!

Sylvain wrote:

"For those who read French, this article is very
interesting :
http://philo.pourtous.free.fr/Articles/Julien/les_frontieres_de_la_philosophie.htm"

AND

"Yes.  I personnally studied in philosophy and I think
this sentence is
correct. it is probably due to western "ethnocentrism"
or
"culturocentrism" (variations of egocentrism).  I
guess the idea is « How people
that were colonized could develop a notable
philosophy, a significant
spirituality ?"

Thanks Sylvain for coming to my rescue. I will be
grateful if you can translate the gist in English.

Coming to Sri Jayanarayan's point, the most prominent
name that comes to my mind is Dr. Albert Sweitzher,
who was of the opinion that "fits of certainty" can
hardly be called philosophy. Anyway, you don't have to
take it on anyone's authority. Just browse through
graduate curricullum of philosphy of some of the
universities outside India to appreciate what I am
saying. You may sometime find a section on "World
Philosophy" as an appendix to the main philosophy
curriculum but it is hardly any consolation to see
buddhism and non-dualism competing for space with
paganism and wicca. For a decent treatment of Indian
schools, you will have to go to theology or indology
department.

Surely, Schopenheur and Neitzshe and a whole host of
philosophers were deeply impressed by indian thought,
but in what context? You will invariably find that it
is the spiritual or religious context that they are
talking about not the philosophical one. Even today
after tremendous interest in buddhism and non-dualism,
you still don't see any philosophers expounding on
them. If at all, their place is found in their
personal lives, not academic.

With regards,
Ram Garib