[Advaita-l] BrahmaGYAna and jIvanmukti - 5 (Other References)

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 8 22:30:37 CST 2007

>I agree that perfect sAdhana-chatushhTaya is necessary for
>brahmaGYAna. What I do not understand is the term "unsteady GYAna"
>which I think can be simply called as "aGYAna."

Darkness is the "absence of light" but when night transitions into day,
there is the period of dawn when the light emerges slowly. It is not as if
pitch dark suddenly gives way to blinding light. For clarity in
philosophical argumentation and for rigor in textual interpretation, one
needs to heavily contrast darkness from light, but one also has to recognize
the process of the dawning of light. If an eclipse were to occur soon after
dawn but before full sunrise, the light diminishes and returns fully only
after the period of the eclipse is over.

If jnAna is light, ajnAna is darkness. What vidyAraNyasvAmin refers to
stabilizing jnAna is the process of dawn, culminating in the fullness of
daylight. He teaches vAsanA-kshaya to counter the extraneous factors that
could cause a possible eclipse. After all, it is the same person who once
considered himself an ajnAnI, who should become a jnAnI and thereby get
liberated. A sudden jump from one state to another is extremely rare. What
is more common is a gradual approach, and it is therefore necessary to teach
the paths that are involved in this gradual approach.

Regards,
Vidyasankar