[Advaita-l] What is the Carrier of Vasanas? (Sharath T Poojary)

Krishnamurthy Ramakrishna puttakrishna at verizon.net
Tue Dec 25 12:10:49 CST 2007

Shri Kalyan,

Your message is interesting! I am curious of the source of your statement -
" the sukshma sarira the subtle body leaves the body and enters into another
career. Is the body having consicouness after the death - yes - but not
perceived because the sukshma sarira is absent in the dead body to get
brightened with the help of the consciouness."
 The shruti/smriti that I am aware of, describes that the Atman
(Consciousness) leaves the body with the subtle body; The Atman with the
upAdhi of the subtle body is referred to as jIvAtma. This is very clear from
the following two verses of the gITa;

"mamaivAmshO jIvalOkE jIvabhUtah sanAtanah
manah shaShTAni indriyANi prakritisthAni karShati " - (15-7)

"sharIram yadavApnOti yacchApi utkrAmati Iswarah
grihItvaitAni samyAti vAyuh gandhA nivAshayat " - (15-8)

Shankara bhAsya on the latter verse reads as follows;

"Iswarah dEhAdi sanJGAta svAmI jIvah; yadA cha pUrvasmAt sharIrAt
sharIrAntaram avApnOti tadA grihItvA EtAni manah ShaShTAni indriyANi samyAti
samyak yAti gacchati - Iswara is jIva who is the lord of the body and sense
organs; When he leaves the previous body and obtains a new body, then he
goes forward with the froup of sense organs, whose sixth component is manas
".

According to your statement the subtle body alone leaves the physical body
and enters in to another physical body. If so, is the subtle body sentient?
I am
interested in understanding the shruti pramANa related to your statement.

Regards,
K. Ramakrishna.