[Advaita-l] Importance of Ashram

Anuj whereisanuj at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 21:03:54 CST 2007

Hello Ravi, Thanks for taking the time to review the website, and for
the reply and concern. You are correct in assessing that
self-management is a critical component of the teachings there. But
then, I am not planning on becoming a monk or an ascetic (by the usual
definition of the word). I am looking to live the rest of my life, a
potentially 50-60 year additional commitment :) (I'm 28 now) in a more
balanced and practical manner. I say practical because my current
lifestyle steeped in ignorance of the way things really are is quite
unsustainable if I want a happy life (as illusionary as it may be in a
vedantic context).
I read Swamiji's book "Vedanta Treatise" and couldn't help but read it
over and over again because of the wealth of knowledge and simple way
it was all explained. Mind you, after having read many more books on
Advaita and Vedanta etc. since then I realize there was nothing
particularly novel in the content, and they all have the same message,
but that's comforting I guess.
Isn't it strange that texts try to explain the unexplainable by using
words that one can't really understand/experience to begin with. I
mean who can conceive of eternity, omnipresence, and omniscience, yet
those are the words used to describe God- a concept we struggle to
understand. So trying to explain the unexplainable by using words we
can't really understand - this is what most do...and it makes no
sense.
Now I have no doubt many of you know much more technical terms and
have done a lot more research and search within than I have so I don't
intend to refute your point or wisdom. I am just saying, I am not
looking to technically learn so much as I am dying to experience the
reality. I have faith in where I am going and look forward to the
contemplation that lays ahead.

In appreciation,
Anuj