[Advaita-l] concept of soul

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 06:33:14 CDT 2007

Dear Michael,

The difference between the western religions and Hinduism in so far as
creation is concerned, is that the bible on which the western religious
thoughts depend is quite definite about the creation whereas any talk of
creation in Hinduism (such as this world came out of Him and he entered into
it etc.) is a gesture only as the first step to eventually repudiate all
understanding of creation for such a creation and the resultant multitude,
if held to be real, would contradict the oneness of the Real.  Many
scientists who hold that the world is real have eventually come to the
conclusion that there has never been a creation and that there is no such
entity as God.  In other words, holding the multitude as real would be
proved to forfeit God.  This is the horn of dilemma of the western religions
who want to hold that the multitude is real and yet would not accept the
consequence.

We on the other hand do prove that the multitude is in reality unreal and in
such an exercise, point to the inevitable that there exists a Reality whose
existence is undisputed in one's own Self. Having disproved the multitudes
and established the Reality in one's own Self there occurs the end of all
discussions, that eventual great Silence as a result of the 'discovery' of
one's own Real Self which is precisely understood as the Parama
Purushaartha.

All I am saying these to you is to disagree with you that by the mere
suggestion of the word 'religion' you have put Hinduism on par with the
western religions.  This is far from true.

Regards,
Anbu