[Advaita-l] Concept of soul

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 00:17:10 CDT 2007

Pranams Anand-ji:

It is interested that you should mention this theory. It is a rather elegant
one and explains some aspects of Vedanta that have been troubling me. This
theory was introduced to me recently by a disciple of Swami Parthasarthy (
http://www.vedantaworld.org/) with whom I have been discussing my concerns
regarding the concept of soul.

According to her, Vedanta "switches theories" when one theory (in this case
the concept of soul) has exhausted its usefullness or the sadhaka has
understood its limitations. If you take such a stand then we need not probe
any further the thorny issues with "subtle bodies", etc. However, my
personal feeling is that *all* aspects of "subtle bodies" need to be
explained in a consistent and complete manner since it is a central tenet of
Vedanta. Remove "subtle bodies" and you remove rebirth, which in turn
removes the theory of karma, which then questions the validity of Gita and
this has obvioiusly serious implications.

Thanks, Mahesh