[Advaita-l] Concept of soul

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 25 20:08:45 CDT 2007

I believe it would help this discussion if we clarified our basic
assumptions first. First, there are many theories of what the soul is and
what happens to it in birth and death of a physical body. A number of these
theories can be compatible with advaita vedAnta, while others may not be.
Secondly, it seems to me that we are talking quite loosely of life and
mixing it up with the soul. A number of the existing ideas about the soul
may also be compatible with the possibility of creating artificial life in a
laboratory, while others may not.

Finally, it seems to me that while we are all talking of life and soul and
science, we are really talking of consciousness and its relation to matter.
The root question is this - is consciousness an entity independent of matter
or is it a consequence of particular arrangements of matter? One's thoughts
about this basic issue will determine to a large extent what we think about
all other issues.

Regards,
Vidyasankar