[Advaita-l] Concept of Soul

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 10:22:05 CDT 2007

Pranams!

I reproduce from my link, the steps and challanges that scientists forsee in
this quest which I think (at least partially) address your points:

<start>
Bedau figures there are three major hurdles to creating synthetic life:

a) A container, or membrane, for the cell to keep bad molecules out, allow
good ones, and the ability to multiply.
b) A genetic system that controls the functions of the cell, enabling it to
reproduce and mutate in response to environmental changes.
c) A metabolism that extracts raw materials from the environment as food and
then changes it into energy.

One of the leaders in the field, Jack Szostak at Harvard Medical School,
predicts that within the next six months, scientists will report evidence
that the first step — creating a cell membrane — is "not a big problem."
Scientists are using fatty acids in that effort.

Szostak is also optimistic about the next step — getting nucleotides, the
building blocks of DNA, to form a working genetic system.
His idea is that once the container is made, if scientists add nucleotides
in the right proportions, then Darwinian evolution could simply take over.
<end>

The difference, as I see, in the above technique (from previous methods like
IVF, cloning, etc) is that they are building the cell ground up. All other
techniques aimed to create life from (some form of) life while this method
starts from matter alone. Another point I wish to make is that this claim is
made by scientists from Harvard Medical (among others) and  hence can be
taken seriously.

Thanks, Mahesh