[Advaita-l] Lighting a Lamp during inauguration

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 08:16:21 CDT 2007

Shree Subramanya - PraNAms

Let me answer your concerns by a story.

There was one drunkard who went to a priest and asked
- " Father, Can I drink while praying" - The father
said - "No. You should not drink while praying. That
is a blasphemy - You should cleanse yourself and with
proper dress and attitude you should pray".

The drunkard thought over and asked again “father can
I pray, while I drink" - Father responded - "Sure my
son, you can always pray, Lord is everywhere and you
can invoke him all the time and in all circumstances".

When I am going to sit for puja and meditation on
gayatri or any mantra, it is helpful to have proper
environment and attire etc for the mind, including a
clean puja room, the dhuupam and deepam etc.  The
external environment should be conducive for
meditation on gayatri.

But if the main purpose is inaugurating an activity or
function, or opening a bridge or construction where
the external environment is not necessarily conducive
for meditation, it is at least important to invoke the
grace of God before the start of the function. It is
glory of Hindu tradition to start the function with a
prayer or lighting the lamp - a symbolic of the
recognition of the presence of the illuminating
consciousness because of whose grace we are able to
function.  I am happy that there are recognizing the
need to start with lighting the lamp or chanting a
sloka or in one form or the other invoking His
blessings.  Waring shoes or pants or some other things
that we normally do not do in the puja room is of not
much concern to me.  I am happy that they are doing
something to invoke the Lord.

My hats of to all of them. There is no insult to
Hinduism but they are glorying  it by invoking the
presence of the Lord in starting an activity which is
not really a realigious function.

Hari Om!
Sadananda

--- UH SUBRAMANYA <subramanya.uh at in.yokogawa.com>