[Advaita-l] Upanishads, Samkhya and Buddhism

Murali Karamchedu murali_m_k at msn.com
Tue Aug 21 23:11:41 CDT 2007

>Coomaraswamy was I believe an art historian by training and did not read
>primary sources so I would take his opinions with a pinch of salt.

Wikipedia has a fairly good writeup on Coomaraswamy
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ananda_Coomaraswamy ), although if I remember
correctly from biographical essays  by Durairajasingam and Rama Coomarasway,
he was a geologist by training (just to nitpick! ).

I agree that his interpretation is sometimes idiosyncratic, particularly the
way he approaches punarjanmA, for example in his essay on 'Time and
Eternity'; but I never got the impression that he did not read the primary
sources. If anything, his writings are overdone with references and
footnotes to sources. Is there any particular reason that you would draw
that conclusion? Just curious.

Best,
Murali Manohar