[Advaita-l] Pramanas - Sruti vs. Anubhava

K Kathirasan NCS kkathir at ncs.com.sg
Sun Apr 29 22:27:40 CDT 2007

Namaste to all,

Pls note the key point expressed by Savithriji so well:

"Actually anubhava isn't an independent pramANa at all, in fact it is a
culmination of the pramANic transactions."

This understanding is very important in trying to understand the way
shabda pramana works. The rise of knowledge, when the Shabda pramana is
wielded, is immediate. Thus it is called as aparoksha jnana. Try to view
anubhava from this standpoint. Those who have studied SSS's works will
not get confused by that random quotation in question, which only does
disservice to his teachings.

After studying Ramakrishnanji's paper I realised that one of the
fundamental issues is the confusion about the immediacy of the rise of
knowledge. Many of us are perhaps finding it difficult to appreciate how
Shabda pramana and Guru vakya produce right knowledge immediately.

Anantanand Rambachan has written a very good book to explain the role of
Shruti in 'producing' right knowledge which can be termed as anubhava.
Those who are interested should put some effort in trying out this book
'Accomplishing the Accomplished' :
http://www.amazon.com/Accomplishing-Accomplished-Knowledge-Comparative-P
hilosophy/dp/0824813588

Anantanand Ramabachan is not a disciple of SSS and neither does he
acknowledge SSS as one of his influences. He learnt Vedanta in the
Gurukula of Swami Dayananda Saraswati.

Warmest Regards,
Kathirasan K