[Advaita-l] Paper on SSS

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 05:44:50 CDT 2007

Thanks for the many thoughtful comments. A quick reply since I am on vacation.

The "I" indirectly signifies the self, as pointed out by Sureshvara,
and it may be useful to include that at least in the footnote. I will
do that when I get the chance to think about how to do that. In
advaitic writings typically I is the ego, and the saakShin is the
self.

Anandamaya-kosha is probably a good candidate to equate with the
knower-I, as it is brahma-puccham pratiShThA, as you point out. As far
as I know, shankara does not address this in any detail. He is more
interested in pointing out that there is a superimposition, for
obvious soteriological reasons. The guNas should come (logically)
after the primary superimposition, as they are the outcome of the
reverse superimposition, inner versus outer, leading to action and
samskaaras. The knower-I is sometimes characterized as tamas/sleep in
a predominantly epistemological context, or mR^ityu in a predominantly
ontological context. However, they are essentially the same. But the
tamas here refers to the fact that it is bare ignorance, and not to
the three-guNas. I shall try to gather some references for this and
include some material on this.

BTW, do you have any comments on section 3? I think that's the most
interesting part. I had the greatest difficulty writing that section.

Rama