[Advaita-l] Re: A note on adhyAsa

S Venkatraman svenkat52 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 21:34:52 CDT 2006

Namaste Shastrji,

Thank you very much for a very clear exposition of adhyasa. A question just
to clarify my understanding of Samasarga Adhyasa:

You Said:

"Because of the superimposition of the non-self on the self, the
existence of the self is not recognized at all, and the non-self, (that is,
the body, mind and organs), is alone recognized as existing. This is
svarUpa- adhyAsa. In the superimposition of the self on the non-self, only
the existence and consciousness aspects of the self are attributed to the
body, mind and organs. This is samsarga-adhyAsa."

My Question:
If in samsarga adhyasa, both the substartum and the superimposed object are
simultaneously available for perception eg. flower and crystal, how can the
superimposition of self on the non-self be called that when the self itself
is not available for perception?

My question probably is very trivial, but I think it will clarify for me the
concept of samsarga adhyasa.

Many thanks and praNAms,

Venkat