[Advaita-l] Re: paJNchAyatana pUja

Abhishek RK rkabhi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 10:25:13 CDT 2006

Namaste Bhaskarji,

On 9/5/06, bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

>  paNchAyatana pUja has become the part of ritualistic
> obligation to advaita  peetAdhipati-s.

Actually, more than anything, these sannyAsis do these pUjas to show
the path for the loukika people, rather than as an obligation. The
pa~nchayatana pUja is more important and obligatory for gR^ihastas.

>   I think it is acceptable only if you keep in mind that  the bhagavan as
> a paramArtha tattva does not have any specific name and form...vEda says
> yEkam sat viprA bahudA vadanti....

Still, the veda says this in the context of the various vedic devatas.
The full R^igveda mantra 1.164.46 which is rarely quoted in full is

Indram mitram varuNam agnim ãhuh,
atho divyah sa suparNo garutmãn,
ekam sad viprãh bahudhã vadanti,
agnim yamam mãtarišvãnam ãhuh.

From: http://www.voi.org/books/hindusoc/ch2.htm

Regards,
Abhishek
--
tasmAttvamuttiShTha yasho labhasva
jitvA shatrUn bhu~NkShva rAjyaM samR^iddham|