[Advaita-l] mImAMsa bhAShya of Sabara svAmin

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 05:35:19 CDT 2006

On 02/09/06, Abhishek RK <rkabhi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Namaste,
>
> On 9/2/06, Ramesh Krishnamurthy <rkmurthy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Though this question does not strictly pertain to advaita-vedAnta, it
> > is still relevant to non-saMnyAsI-s, including smArta-s.
>

> The above statement is not factual as per my understanding because, one has
> to have a solid understanding of pUrvamImaMsa shastra (along with nyaya,
> vyAkaraNa etc) before starting study of vedAnta. This is how vedAnta has
> been studied traditionally.

Yes, and that is precisely why I asked this question. Though
pUrvamImAMsa is a darSana in its own right, it is still an element of
traditional vedAntic study. So are nyAya, various aspects of pAtanjala
yoga, vedAnga-s like vyAkaraNa, etc

When I said that the question does not strictly pertain to
advaita-vedAnta, what I meant was that it is not the focus of the
upaniShad-s and the various commentatorial & prakaraNa texts in the
vedAntic tradition. Nevertheless, it has its relevance for vedAntic
study.

Also, for non-saMnyAsI-s, it is relevant as an element of the pravRtti mArga.

Ramesh