[Advaita-l] Difference between waking and dream states

S Venkatraman svenkat52 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 11:53:28 CDT 2006

Namaste Shstriji,

In your original post you had stated that from the standpoint of absolute
reality both waking and dream states are mithya by which I understand that
their reality or existence is only relatively real and not absolutely real.
That they are subject to arrival and departure and are not nitya.

The above statement of yours - that they are mithya - appears to me as more
correct than the one you make in the next post - that they do not have any
existence. If they do not have any existence how can there be any experience
of them at all?

Where am I going wrong in my understanding? Would be grateful if you could
clarify.

praNAms,
Venkat