[Advaita-l] Re: Pa~nchapAdikAchArya

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 03:17:26 CDT 2006

Namaste Kathirasan-ji,

Your point is well taken, especially on the need to take our opinions
lightly. I also agree wholeheartedly on the need to be objective.

But let me point out that sampradaya as such is not be taken lightly.
It is of fundamental importance in Advaita Vedanta. This is not my
opinion, but pretty much a plain fact.

Lest I be misunderstood, let me clarify that I am making a general
statement and not with respect to SSS in particular. I have not read
any of the works of SSS, and therefore have *no opinion* whatsoever on
them. As far as SSS himself is concerned, I have immense respect for
him, the respect that is due to a sannyasi and a scholar. Beyond that,
I have pretty much nothing to say about him or his works.

The reference to authorship issues was because some of his followers
seem to emphasize such issues a lot. Such issues do have their
importance, but I will say *unhesitatingly* that people who dismiss
the Vivekachudamani because of doubts about its authorship are not
being faithful to Advaita Vedanta. The VC is great because of its
contents and not because of its author. Who wrote it is immaterial.

dhanyosmi
Ramesh