[Advaita-l] Sankara on "After GYAna" (was Re: BrahmaGYAna and jIvanmukti - 1...)

Venkata Subramanian venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 22:35:36 CST 2006

can you then say Karthik why the same Acharya says in the Mundaka Bhashya that after the Samyag Gnana, nothing more is to be done  (see his Bhashya on Para Apara Vidya) Yatha avidya vishaye............................

S Jayanarayanan <sjayana at yahoo.com> wrote:
  --- bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com wrote:

[..]

> KJ prabhuji:
>
> I had already quoted Sankara's Brihadaranyaka Upanishad Bhashya a
> couple of times before. Here it is again:
>
> bhaskar :
>
> prabhuji I am requesting you to parallelly quote shankara bhAshya
> also
> while exploring the JMV...it is not on one instance live above...at
> every
> stage of your presentation of JMV if possible quote shankara
> bhAshya also
> from prasthAna traya...as said above, that would help us a lot to
> understand shankara's stand on these issues...Hope you would take
> care of
> this.
>
> As far as 1.4.7 of BU is concerned, we have had enough discussions
> on this
> issue earlier in this same list...

This will be my last posting on this topic.

I shall explain myself very clearly, and then leave it at that. This
is the FOURTH time (at least) that I'm posting this quote, so I will
make my question quite clear:

---
yady apy evaM SarIrAbdhakasya karmaNo niyata-phalatvAt
samyag-jnAna-prAptAv apy avaSyaM-bhAvinI-pravRttir
vA.n-manaH-kAyAnAm. labdha-vRtter karmaNo balIyastvAt, mukteShvAdi
pravRttivat. tena pakShe prAptaM jnAna-pravRtti-daurbalyaM. tasmAd
tyAga-vairAgyAdi-sAdhana-balAvalambena Atma-vijnAna-smRti-saMtatir
niyantavyA bhavati ...

The gist of the above quotation is, "even after the rise of right
knowledge (samyag-jnAna), due to the strong effect of prior karmA
(balIyastva), whose momentum is like that of a released arrow (mukta
iShu), and the relatively weakness of the newly acquired tendency
towards jnAna, it is necessary (niyantavyA) to maintain a steady
recollection of Self-knowledge (Atma-vijnAna-smRti-saMtati), assisted
by sAdhana-s like renunciation (tyAga), dispassion (vairAgya) and the
like.
---

My question is:

"Why does Sankara talk about the effect of Karma AFTER THE RISE OF
SAMYAGGYANA - where the effect of Karma should not exist at all?"

(Note: I'm NOT INTERESTED in the topic of niyama vidhi here.)

In other words, since you claim to follow the great "shuddha Sankara
mArga", I AM CHALLENGING YOU to answer the question of why Sankara
speaks of ANYTHING after GYAna, when NOTHING BUT BRAHMAN remains.

(Note that for Sankara, Samyak-GYAna refers only to perfect
BrahmaGYAna and nothing else.)

Regards,
Kartik

For assistance, contact: