[Advaita-l] pUrva mImAmsa

Annapureddy Siddhartha Reddy annapureddy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 22:41:00 CST 2006

praNAm.h shrI Jayanarayanan,
       I have a question on the pUrva mImAmsa series you have written a
while ago:
http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2004-March/013522.html

I just wanted to make sure my understanding is correct on the authoredness
of a text. Essentially, when we say, author A composed work W, do we mean
that A collected some of the eternal sentences S1, S2,..., Sn and put them
together in a particular order to get the work W. And since this putting
together was done by a human, he could have made mistakes, for example by
choosing false sentences etc.

Another question -- extending the same PM logic which deduced that sentences
are eternal given that words are eternal, we could say that passages
comprising sentences are eternal. And hence works comprising passages are
eternal, for example, W of A is eternal. So, what does it even mean to say
"authored by a human"? Or if the above logic is incorrect, please do point
out where the argument breaks down. Thanks so much.

A.Siddhartha.