[Advaita-l] naiShkarmyasiddhi of sureSvarAcArya

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Thu May 25 18:08:43 CDT 2006

This is a simple case of confusion arising due to composing sentences
like, "If he had liked ice cream, he would have bought it". Are the
two "he"s referring to the same person, or is it two different
persons?

For example, does it mean

a) If a person A likes ice cream, A would have bought it?, or
b) If a person A likes ice-cream, then person B (his father) would
have bought it?

Such sentences can be interpreted only on the basis of context. When
it has been explicitly stated by Sankara that the two were written by
different people, what is the point in taking the two as the same in
Sureshvaras work? Also in Indian languages it is a mark of respect not
to explicitly mention the name of a great person.

Now, it is quite clear that the puurva and uttara can be thought of a
single work in the sense that the former teaches brahman indirectly,
while the latter teaches it directly. I have posted verses from the
sambandha vaartika a while back on this. So, shankara many times talks
as if they are a single work. So they are interconnected in the sense
mentioned above, but not in the sense of being written by the same
author. Why else would shankara talk of them as a connected work and
then mention two different names with regard to their authorship? It
is a pity that even a normally astute writer like Alston goes off into
speculations like these sometimes.

Rama