[Advaita-l] Re: gUDArthadIpikA 4.35 question on a figure of speech

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sun May 21 17:55:51 CDT 2006

>odanam (rice)= dhAthoh sAmAnya (the ordinary regular usage
>of the meaning of words or the rudyarthah)
>
>pAkam(cooking)= Acharyaih upadishtham (Acharyas teaching)
>pacati(cooking) = vivakshaya proygah( contextual meaning as
>meant by the sashtrAs understood and vi+vaksh(well
>expressed.
>
>vaktasya(the speaker's)= the student's

I was holding off on responding to this till I got the reading of the
gUDhArthadIpikA confirmed. vaktasya is not grammatically correct, as the
root is vaktR (speaker) and the word would get declined like pitR (father),
bhrAtR (brother) etc. The genitive case would therefore not be vaktasya but
vaktuH.

I was mentally emending the reading to odanapAkam pacatItivat tasyaiva (=
odana pAkam pacati itivat tasya eva), but would like to confirm if that is
the case before I try to interpret the metaphor. If the reading of the text
is indeed ... pacatItivaktasyaiva ..., then the pada viccheda (parsing) of
the phrase is unclear to me.

Meanwhile, please note that odana refers not just to rice, but to cooked
rice (in general, any cooked grain).

Regards,
Vidyasankar