[Advaita-l] Devas Adhikara, Rama and Sambuka

kashyapa sharma swatmarama at yahoo.co.in
Sat May 20 21:57:19 CDT 2006

Namaskar,

  I wish to highlight something in this regard.I do not consider myself to be an expert in all branches of learning, since I am just a student of XII. I have had a discussion in this regard with some scholars both from the north and south of India, many of them are of the opinion that "Uttara Kaanda" is not authored by Valmiki but added many years after the composition of Valmiki Ramayana. But they also add that they are yet to recieve substantial evidence in that regard.

  Hence I would say that this is something which may not be correct to say that a shudra was killed by King Rama since he was doing something without a formal instruction or something he was doing against the varnashrama dharma existing at that point of time.

  Narayana Smaranam,

  Kashyap

Lakshmi Muthuswamy <lakmuthu at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Namaskaram,

Please read the chapters 73 - 76 of Uttara khAndA of
Valmiki Ramayana.
ch 73. A brahmana arrives at the palace gates of Rama. he
is carrying the dead body of his son and laments and blames
the king for the death of his son.

ch 74. Devarishi narada explains the cause for this
apamrithyu of the Brahmanas son. The cause being the
unauthoriused practice of penance with no adhikara by a
sudra.

ch 75. Sri Rama goes around his empire in the aerial car of
kubera, ir order to trace this unrighteous sudra. Rama
finds him practising penance in the southern direction.

Ch 76. Killing of the sudra by Sri rama and coming back to
life of the Brahmanas son.

For assistance, contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org