[Advaita-l] RM and shaMkara - part 2 (was Re: doubt on the role of shruti vAkyAs)

jagannathan mahadevan jagannathan.mahadevan at gmail.com
Fri May 19 00:09:37 CDT 2006

namaskAram shrI Amuthan,

Thanks for the previous reply. I still have a follow-up query on this
thread and I am sorry for the pause.

> there is no doubt that a mumukShu needs the will power
> to endure the various modifications of the mind and
> the body. that is why titikShA is included within the
> sAdhana chatuShTaya requirements.

While it is clear that these qualities are necessary before one can
perform sravaNa how they are achieved is not so clear. In fact that is
one thing that has been bothering me - whether there is a set way to
the above. I do agree that for a j~nani, titikShA is effortless mainly
because it is not an outstanding issue for him/her. However, it *is*
an issue for the others right? I hope this doesn't lead to a
chicken-egg question :) !
Is the Asrama dharma a system to achieve the sAdhana chatuShTaya
qualities that is expected from a mumukShu?

Jagan.