[Advaita-l] gUDArthadIpikA 4.35 question on a figure of speech

Murali Karamchedu murali_m_k at msn.com
Wed May 17 21:48:40 CDT 2006

Dear List Members,

I am trying to understand a particular sentence in the gUDhArthadIpikA,
under 4.35. Here MS says:

yatpUrvoktam jnAnamAcAryairupadiSTaM jnAtvA prApya |
odanapAkaM pacatItivaktasyaiva dhAto: sAmAnyavivakshayA prayogaha. |

(Loosly, the first sentence is translated as – "knowing, having acquired,
that aforesaid
knowledge instructed by the AcAryA"; the second sentence qualifies the verb
in the first
one. It says, the verb should be treated as the figure of speech similar to
the sentence
“cooking the boiling rice”)

I don’t get the relevance of the elaboration, from odanapAkam onwards,  of
this figure of
speech for the word jnAtvA here. Could someone help me understand please?

It goes on to say –
Na punarmohamevaM bandhuvadhAdinimittaM bhramaM yAsyasi
(You will not be under such delusion again such as killing of relatives
etc.)

The BG verse is 4.35:

yajnAtvA na punarmohamevaM yAsyasi pANdava |
yena bhUtAnyaSesheNa drakshyasyAtmanyatho mayi ||

Respectfully,
Murali Manohar