manana and Atma vichAra (was Re: [Advaita-l] RE: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 11)

Amuthan aparyap at yahoo.co.in
Mon May 15 18:52:58 CDT 2006

namo nArAyaNAya!

dear shrI rAmakRShNan bAlasubrahmaNyan,

--- Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian
<rama.balasubramanian_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Due to some tight constraints, I am not able to
> answer in any detail.
> I'll try to do that in a couple of weeks. But I
> think I understand the
> source of your confusion.

thanks a lot for your reply. please do answer when you
find time. it will be of great help in clarifying my
understanding of traditional manana and nididhyAsana.

--- Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian
<rama.balasubramanian_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Some useful references are the upoddhaata to the
> chaandogya where
> bhagavatpaada compares j~naana and upaasana, and
> especially the 2nd
> and 3rd chapters of the naishhkarmya siddhi. These
> chapters are
> masterpieces, rivalling even sha.nkaras writings on
> this subject! Also
> refer to the comments on the nature of the
> eternality of shruti by
> bhagavatpaada in the taittiriiya bhaasya
> (aanadavallii if my memory
> serves me right) and the comments of Sureshvara in
> his vaartka
> regarding the same. I apologizeif this sounds a
> little too cryptic.
> Anyway, I should also point out the narration by
> mahaasannidhaanam
> himself about his gaining j~naana in "Yoga,
> Enlightenement and
> Perfection" to his disciple who has written that
> book.

wow! this is the sort of reply i wanted - references
to the relevant parts of AchArya's and sureshvara's
works. thanks a million! i'll definitely go through
the references asap.

vAsudevaH sarvaM,
aparyAptAmRtaH.