[Advaita-l] tradition, advaita, apauruSheyatva etc.

Amuthan aparyap at yahoo.co.in
Mon May 8 19:49:26 CDT 2006

namo nArAyaNAya!

dear shrI sylvan,

--- elisabeth-sylvain_at_sympatico.ca wrote:

> " If there is doctrine, there is no way to attain
> comprehension." (does
> "comprehension" means "turyaga" here ?).

the interpretation depends on the context in which it
was spoken. probably what AnandamayI mA means is that
thougts 'destroy' as it were our natural state of
being the self.

transcending all doctrines is necessary, but that is
ONLY at the very END. you use the term turyaga. if
your source is yoga vAsiShTha, then going by it's
terminology, one can say that doctrination is
necessary until atleast sattvApatti (direct vision of
the self) happens. even after that, one has to
meticulously use Atma j~nAna to destroy latent vAsanAs
and reach turyaga.

in fact, not adhering to a doctrine before having the
necessary maturity is impossible. this is because the
'i am the body' idea is a fundamental and deep rooted
'doctrine' that all of us have by default. in some
sense, all sAdhana is only to remove this false
doctrine that we uphold. mokSha (liberation) is the
same as the destruction of all false doctrines and
ideas ('mokSho.avidyA nivRttiH', to quote
bhagavatpAda's bR.up. bhAShya), but to achieve that, a
doctrine is necessary.

vAsudevaH sarvaM,
aparyAptAmRtaH.