[Advaita-l] 'End' not 'Means'

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Tue May 2 09:44:18 CDT 2006

On 29/04/06, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian
<rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com> wrote:

> > And what about the Advaitins themselves? By saying that a person
> > without access to the Veda could still achieve moksha, the Advaitins
> > would surely have ruffled a lot of orthodox feathers. The case of
> > Bhatta Bhaskara has already been cited on this list. So are the
> > Advaitins, being reformers, bound to fail too?
> >
> > dhanyosmi
> > Ramesh
>
> No. Pretty much every hindu group guarantees that moxa is available
> irrespective of access to veda *recitation*.
>
> I suggest that everyone re-read the post Vidyasankar mailed within the
> last month on the distinction between the parama-pursuShaartha, namely
> mokshha, and social reform with respect to veda *recitation*
> tradition. The two are mutually orthogonal in some senses.
>
> Rama

Namaste,

Sorry for the delayed response to this post. Have been travelling over
the last 3 days.

If you are referring to Vidyasankar's post on 7th April, I have read
that agree with it wholeheartedly. Vidyasankar's post on 18th April on
the Satyakama Jabala issue is also instructive.

Best wishes to all members on the occasion of Sankara Jayanti

dhanyosmi
Ramesh