[Advaita-l] Re: source of mAyA?

Amuthan aparyap at yahoo.co.in
Tue Mar 28 02:52:38 CST 2006

namo nArAyaNAya!

dear shrI vidyAsha~Nkar sundareshan,

--- Vidyasankar Sundaresan
<svidyasankar_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...] In other words,
> brahman can be said to create the universe through
> the instrumentality of
> mAyA, and only brahman can be the locus of mAyA.

in the first place, is it necessary to ponder about
the locus of mAyA? there is absolutely no basis to
suppose that mAyA should have a locus.

(and Aditya, i guess asking for a source of mAyA is
again meaningless since there is no reason to suppose
that such a cause exists.)

within the scope of advaita vedAnta, we can never
possibly know if mAyA has a source or if it has a
locus. hence, any attempt to rationalize mAyA is bound
to be futile. mAyA is unintelligble and there it
stops.

--- Vidyasankar Sundaresan
<svidyasankar_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...] This question is equivalent
> to asking, "why does
> the universe exist?" In advaita, the short answer
> has always been, "lIlA" or
> "svabhAva" - e.g. devasyaisha svabhAvaH -
> gauDapAda's kArikas.

yes, but this is also a form of running away from the
problem. i do agree that no system of philosophy has
satisfactorily dealt with the 'why' question. this
being the case, there is nothing wrong in plainly
stating that we are running away from the problem.

going by occam's razor, it seems that the
vishiShTAdvaitin is better placed at least when it
comes to the issue of mAyA, but this is my personal
opinion :)

vAsudevaH sarvaM,
aparyAptAmRtaH.