[Advaita-l] discussion about panchayatan puja

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 03:04:50 CST 2006

On 17/03/06, Abhishek RK <rkabhi at gmail.com> wrote:
> >From "Essentials of Krishna & Shukla Yajurveda" by RL Kashyap (published by
> SAKSI- Bangalore):
>
> "In the Rudra-homa or Gana-homa, the entire namaka hymn in TS(4.5) and the
> chamaka hymn in TS (4.7) may be chanted with the associated ritual. But
> these two steps are just two acts in the twelve day Vedic rite of
> Agnichayana."

* I was under the impression that the pUrva mImAMsaka-s classified
every "statement" in the veda as vidhi, niSedha or arthavAda
(therefore, a mantra would also be divided into these 3 categories).

The mImAMsaka-s even consider the upaniShad-s to be arthavAda. Of
course, the advaita-vedAntins consider the upaniShad-s to be jnAna
kANDa, which is unrelated to karma of any kind.

However, if one divides up the rest of the veda into karma kANDa and
upAsanAkANDa, I was wondering whether the arthavAda portions would
mostly come under upAsanAkANDa.

So let me put it this way - to what part of the veda does the
vidhi/niShedha/arthavAda classification apply?

dhanyavAdaH
Ramesh