[Advaita-l] discussion about panchayatan puja

Ram Garib garib_ram at yahoo.co.in
Thu Mar 16 07:30:43 CST 2006

--- Prasad Ramamurthy Kadambi

> But I *strongly* beleive that we cannot selectively
> appreciate vedas. We can
> get a number of proofs for proving Karmakanda and
> Jnanakanda are for one
> single purpose. It would be avidya-ish to appreciate
> either of them in
> separation. What  would be vidya-ish is to revere
> both Karmakanda and
> Jnanakanda.

This is the official line in vedanta. However let me
submit that my inherent distrust in karma-kanda
portion of veda-s has not seriously impaired my
ability to appreciate or even benefit from the
jnana-kanda of veda-s.

A vedantin is philosophically obliged to defend both
the portins to support apaurusheyatva of veda-s. A
layman who is hardly concerned about paurusheyatva or
apaurusheyatva of veda-s can still appreciate sublime
message in upanishadic portions.

However, for an advanced sadhaka, the agnostic stand
will definitely lead to internal conflict at some
point of time.

With regards,
Ram Garib