[Advaita-l] Sringeri and Kanchi - same incident?

Ravishankar Venkatraman sunlike at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 27 11:37:27 CDT 2006

Similar to the sentiments expressed by Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian on
whether to write a mail or not, I also thought multiple times before writing
this.

It is not good for people to indulge on what was quoted to have been said by
someone decades ago, or an ardent devotee of 'X' matha observed so and so,
and hence the views of the Acharyas are reflected in what 'X' said. It
hinders the spiritual progress of the individual and it hurts the feelings
of other devotees. In the bargain, it hurts the spiritual progress of the
other devotees also.

Here is the situation in 2006. Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal, the current
Sankaracharya of Sringeri mutt observes as thus:

Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswathi was a great Tapasvi and guiding light for
millions. He was a learned scholar, well-versed in the shastras and an
embodiment of compassion.

Unquote

This is from a pdf document "Mahaswami of Kanchi Sage Extraordinary" which
came to me by mail a few months ago. I am sure this is available in the web
somewhere.

I am sure that when the current Acharya of Sringeri, who Himself is a
tapasvi makes this statement, it behooves all the sishyas to follow Him and
not challenge Him with some age-old claim.

Our duty first is to remain as good sishyas to the respective Acharyas, and
follow what He teaches.

I pray that the supreme Lord should give us each of us what we want in
spiritual pursuits, and wean us away from things like this which are
absolutely of no worth.

God bless,

Ravi