[Advaita-l] Worship

Dr. Yadu Moharir ymoharir at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 26 09:45:00 CDT 2006

Namste Shastri-Ji:

  That is precisely what I was trying to convey.  This also supports advaitic fundamentals in vyavahraaric levels which helps us eliminate separations as "spiritual and vyavahaaric" practices, rather than getting lost in the academic discussions of dream states, which can be practiced not only for the benefit of the individual saadhaka but also for the society in which he/she lives. That is probably why Achaarya composed stotravaa~Ngamaya even or rather only after recognizing the importance of advaita.

  IMO - The take home message is that Gods are not separate from us and it is up to us understand, recognize, and emulate their attributes to make heaven on this Earth.  Spiritual place/plain is not separate but rather our responsibility to practice spirituality on the vyavahaaric plain. I think miracle is not walking on water or flying through air but walking on ground without stumbling.

  hari OM tat sat

  Dr. Yadu

"S.N. Sastri" <sn.sastri at gmail.com> wrote:
  Dear Dr. Yaduji,

You have brought out an excellent point. We can take the statement "devo
bhUtvA devam yajet" as indicating that in our everyday life also and not
only during pUjA, we should cultivate and practise those great qualities
such as compassion, etc., which are attributed to God in the nAmAvalis we
chant during archana. This did not strike me earlier.
S.N.Sastri

Dr.Yadu wrote:
Namste Shastri-Ji for an excellent explanation.

What really appealed me is your statement -

"SrI Sankara says in his bhAshya on VishNu
sahasranAma: One should look upon oneself as vishNu while offering praise,
prostration, etc. to vishNu. "

To me this should like Acharys is clearly trying to ask us to emulate the
meaning that one derives from the "naama - ruupa" and practice this in our
daily rituals, such as puujaa.

Thus, could we not say that our ancestors wanted to practice advaita
through recognizing " Noun - the naama ruupa" and practice it as "verb" in
our own lives. as per Acharya's lines from the shivamaanasa puujaa.

yadyatkarma karomi tattadakhilaM shambho tavaara dhanam

Thanks you

Dr. Yadu

For assistance, contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org