[Advaita-l] Sringeri and Kanchi - same incident?

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 17 13:17:35 CDT 2006

Jagan,

You have misunderstood me. I was not taking a "potshot" at anyone as
you've claimed below.

IMHO: It is perfectly possible that GSS, the author of the article on
the Kanchi Paramacharya, had heard the original incident in the
context of the Sringeri Mahaswamigal and mistakenly attributed it to
the former. My suggestion is that GSS unknowingly made an error in
this particular passage of his article.

The foreword to the biography "The Saint of Sringeri" was written in
1962. The author of the biography, R. Krishnaswami Aiyar, (almost)
always writes in the first person, being a direct witness to the
events in the book. When was the "Souvenir", on which GSS's narrative
is based, published? In the link you've provided, which is also
published in the "Souvenir", there is a reference to the date of
1992, which implies that this is a comparatively very recent
publication.

http://www.kamakoti.org/souv/5-59.html
The Chandrasekhara of Kanchi and The Chandrasekhara of Sringeri
Ra. Ganapati
At this point of time, (October 25, 1992) when we are preparing for
the centenary celebration of Sri Kanchi Maha Svamigal...

Regards,
Kartik

--- jagannathan mahadevan <jagannathan.mahadevan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Kartik,
>
> I would suggest that one does not indulge in taking potshots based
> on
> this "similar story" or with the more sophisticated "history"
> digging.
> For that matter every incident you quote have only been seen or
> heard
> through another entity, just like the newsmedia. What makes you
> think
> that either one of them is genuine in the absence of direct
> evidence
> to you or me?

[..]