[Advaita-l] definition: SIN - Help!

Dr. Yadu Moharir ymoharir at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 12 16:26:27 CDT 2006

Some additional information  "paapa"

  nyaayakoSha defines papa as – paatityajanakadurdR^iShTaprayojakakriyaaviseShaH
  Meaning – That what creates “paatitya” and devious scheming (behind what is obviously seen), such an orchestrator (kiyaavisheSha) is paataka.

  Thus, intentional wrong dong must have become accepted as “paapa” and a general generic definition is - sarvam parapIDanam pApam.

  In general acting against the operative principles (iiShvara taattva) appears to have been regarded as paapa.

  Just like dirt sticks to our body, papa was considered to adhere to the individuals as well.  gR^itsamad R^iShii says -
  daameva vatsaadvimumugdhya.mho na hi tvadaare nimiShasca neshe (R^i. 2.28.6)
  (Griffith Translation) - Far from me, Varuna, remove all danger accept me graciously, thou Holy Sovran. Cast off, like cords that hold a calf, my troubles: I am not even mine eyelid's lord without thee.

  Disease (jalodhara) was regarded as being a result of varuNaa’s avakR^ipaa and that may have been the rational for above mentioned prayer to varuNaa.

  aa~Ngirasa kutsa’s agnisuukta always end with a statement address to agni – apa naH shoshucadadham  (R^i. 1.97) - (Meaning – Let this agni purify us by destroying the papa.)

  This seems to have evolved into to reasoning and progression associated with the concept of paapa.

  na sa svo daxo varuNa ghR^itiH saa suraamanyurbhiidako acittiH  (R^i. 7.86.6 )
  Meaning – VaruNaa – no human intentionally performs paapa ( or rather dares to perform paapa.  Drinking wine (maddyapaana), anger, gambling and irrational thinking (aviveka) results in paataka.

  There is in interesting covenant in R^igveda as well where the R^iShi declares that they will not become paaipp, nirdhana (without adequate financial base) and anagni (without sacrificial fire.  Probably because they recognized that all the purification was based on the fire (metallurgy or tapa (spiritual) – tapate taapayate iti vaa).

  na paapaso manaamahe naraayaaso na jalhvaH (R^i. 8.61.11)

  The concept of narakaa also appears in R^igveda as well.

  paapaasaH santo anR^itaa astyaa iadaM padamajanataa gabhiram (R^i. 4.5.5)
  Meaning -  A deep narakaa has been created for liars and anR^ita (ones behaving against the principles of universal regulations (viShvaniyama).

  sapta maryaadaaH kavayas tatakShus taasaam ekaam id abhy aMhuro gaat
  (R^i. 10.5.6)

  Meaning – R^iShi’s (knowledgable) folks have established seven limits and crossing those human becomes a sinner.

  Seven limits are described in nirukta 6.27 and are also found in manusmR^ti (7.48-50) as well. Drinking wine (madyapaana), axa (dyuta) gambling, vyabhicaara (promiscuity), mR^igayaa (hunting for pleasure),  dNDapaarupya (hiMsaa),  vakpaarupya (verbal abuse), and ni.ndaa  condemn & blame.

  tasmaad brhamNaH suraaM na pibanti paapmanaane tsaMsR^ijyaa iti  (kaThaka saMhitaa 12.12)
  Therefore, Brahmins do not drink  !?

  steno hiraNyasya suraaM piba~nshca gurosyalpamaavasanbrahmahaa caeite patanti catvaaH pa~ncamashcaacara~Nstairiti (chhanaadogya upa. 5.10.9)

  ashvamedha appears to be used as a remedy for all sins.

  sarva paapaanM tarati tarati brahmahatyaaM yo.ashvamedhena yajate (tai. sa. 5.3.12)

    In puraaNaa’s this concept of paapa was exploited by the priest community for their benefit and I think that this concept of trying to wash of sins through academic rituals and exploiting the innocent folks was probably the biggest "paapa" they performed.

  As far as I know, Acharya never really concentrated on the karma-kaaNDa aspect as he was concentrated on brahma, maayaa, moxa and j~naana.

  In the middle ages, saints like kabir, daaduu strongly opposed the falsehood of such practices.  Even now under the banner of “shraddhaa” such continue to be practiced not only in India but by the priests imported in US as well.  Through, long distance remote puujaa performance in various temples.

  Regards,

  Dr. Yadu.

Sylvain <elisabeth-sylvain at sympatico.ca> wrote:
  MA AnandamayI answered a question :

(translated from Bengali or Hindi to English and French and retranslated
from me for you)

«Q. : Is violence a big sin ?
Mâ : The big sinner is the one who consider his physical body as his real
identity. »

It seems to me this short answer explain human violence.

Sylvain