[Advaita-l] Re: brahman

Abhishek RK rkabhi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 10:35:19 CDT 2006

Namaste,

On 7/27/06, Mahesh Ursekar <mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wasn't Krishna as Saguna Brahman "born" at a given point in time? I put the
> word born in quotes since He chose to "wield his power"  and take birth out
> of Devaki's womb. But does this mean that Krishna, Shiva, etc. exist as
> Iswara and chose to act in certain ways? Is Iswara then one or many? And it
> is still confounding for me to understand how they came to "exist" in the
> first place.

Though I haven't studied it myself, I believe this is answered in
"devatAdhikaraNam" of brahmasUtrabhAShya. The Vishnu worshipped in the
many vaidika karmas is actually a devata, not saguNa brahman
(Ishvara). I'd welcome the other members correcting me if I am wrong.

Regards,
Abhishek
--
satyena dhAryate pR^ithvi satyena tapate raviH|
satyena vAti vAyushca sarvaM satye pratishThitam||

calA lakShmIshcalAH prANAshcalaM jIvita yauvanaM|
calAcale ca saMsAre dharma eko hi nishcalaH||