[Advaita-l] DoShaparihArAShTakam - series -6

Lakshmi Muthuswamy lakmuthu at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 26 09:08:37 CDT 2006

DoShaparihArAShTakam continued

  Verse – 6

  nirdoShabhAvamitarasya sadoShabhAvam
  svasyApi samvidadhatI paradoShadhIrme
  AsthAmiyam taditarA tu parartimAtra
  heturvyanaktu na katham mama tucchabhAvam

  No one likes to listen to his or her own defects. Some times, rarely, people may say, ‘please do point out my mistakes’, but this stays just as an expression. Like even in a wedding invitation – please make it convenient to attend with all your friends and relatives, kith and kin, bandhu, putra, mitra etc etc
  No one lands up at the wedding hall with a jing bang lot
.They are mere words of courtesy.

  We can apply this to human psychology too. No on says with seriousness ‘please point out my defects’, even if they say so, it is very difficult to accept. It is not welcome. In very rare cases, if some one asks to point out his or her defects, they should not be pointed out directly and openly, but only indirectly according to situations, preferably in person. Because it hurts the person to know his defect in himself/herself and cannot own it up. The author says that, this is a fundamental problem.

  The beauty of the author here is that the theme is not to point out the doSha in others. But if he addresses You, then it amounts to pointing out YOUR doSha. Without saying YOU, he is talking about himself, pointing the defects at himself.. Oh Lord! There is dirt in MY mind, and I have a dirty character. para doShadhIh
  Because of this, what am I doing constantly? Svasya nirdoSha bhAva

  For example, if there is failure in a given situation, normally we take stock of all the mistakes and errors committed that has resulted in the failure. Whenever we enquire, we tend to point out fingers at other people and blame them.

  But I don’t even spend half a second contemplating on my contribution towards this failure. In any situation, any event, any incident or any Government the blame is always on X Y Z.

  Itarasya svadoSha bhAvam seeing/blaming the doShA on others

  Svasya nirdoSha bhavam that there is no doSha in me

  Para doSha dhIh me I am made of sucha defective character

  AstAm let it be.

  Through this analysis what am I revealing to this world? That when ever I point out the doShas in the others, it is to prove that “ I have no defects at all”. “ I am a perfect person”. Holier than thou attitude. The thinking is that the status is raised.

  Here the author says whenever we discuss the defects in others, we are only lowering our status and morale, not raising the status.

  What does this fault - finding reveal? Mama tuccha bhavam vyanakttu. It only reveals my tucchatvam low thinking and my inferior attitude.

  To be continued

..

  Om namo narayanaya
  Lakshmi Muthuswamy