[Advaita-l] Re: Understanding

Abhishek RK rkabhi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 08:51:38 CDT 2006

Namaste,
See my comments below. Humbly request you to clear my doubts.

On 7/13/06, kuntimaddi sadananda <kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Karma as discussed in the pUrva mImAmsa - are they necessary? - for
> jnAna yogyata? If that is the question then Shankara dismisses those
> arguments in his above bhAShya on Sutra 1. The summary is it is not
> necessary but it is helpful for purification, if done with right
> attitude.

The mimamsakas apparently choose the giving up of kAmya karmas and
performing nityakarma alone to attain mokSha. Adi Shankara
Bhagavatpada says the same in upadesha pancakam. However, He goes a
step further and says even those have to given up only once one enters
sannyAsa.

> The bottom line is if you can gain the purity of the mind then you are
> qualified for jnAna yoga or inquiry of Brahman.  The ball is in your
> court.
>
> Now just some clarification on your post. Please note that Brahman as
> consciousness is substantive of all c's in your post.  This is the
> essence of Mandukya Upanishad that we are studying. Hence the
> body-mind-intellect as well as the life principle -both are within
> consciousness.  In order to see that clearly only, we need a mind free
> from vAsana pressure.  For that Karma yoga helps. I had posted few
> months ago several posts on Karma yoga which you may like to study.

To atain karma yoga itself is not easy. From His biography, we learn
that  Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Mahaswamiji, once he entered sannyAsa
Ashrama, performed karma yoga until He was directed by Sri
Chandrashekhara Bharati Mahaswamiji to give up that and become j~NAna
nishTha. To "give up" karmas to Ishvara or perform niShkAma karma is
not so easy.

Regards,
Abhishek
--
satyena dhAryate pR^ithvi satyena tapate raviH|
satyena vAti vAyushca sarvaM satye pratishThitam||

calA lakShmIshcalAH prANAshcalaM jIvita yauvanaM|
calAcale ca saMsAre dharma eko hi nishcalaH||