[Advaita-l] Understanding

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 13:25:15 CDT 2006

--- Viswanathan N <vishy1962 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Shri Sadanandaji /Sastriji and all learned
>
>   I am not all that learned in scriptures or in the sanskrit itself to
> quote anything.
>   But Let me put my understanding of ' Truth' in layman' s language:
>
>   All living /why everything in this existence are containers(c)  and
> the life  inside is the Content (C). The Content all over everywhere
> is one and same and the containers create the illusion of being
> different. Now let me put it in this way, atleast for humans:

Shree Viswanathanji - PraNAms.

Shree Shastriji has explained very well the need of karma for
purification of the mind.

Shankara discusses this aspect in his bhAShya on sUtra 1, in his
discussion of the four-fold qualifications (sAdhana catuSTayam) for the
inquiry into Brahman.

This discussion focuses on the purification of the mind or chitta suddhi
and Karma yoga is the most efficient means to accomplish that.  It is
the niShkaama karma that is emphasized and not kAmya karma.

'yoginaH karma kurvanti sangham tyaktvaa Atma suddhaye' says Krishna.
'Chittasya suddhaye karma na tu vastUpa labhyaye'-says Shankara in
VivekachuuDamani.

Hence requirement is chitta sudhhi - How one obtains that is up to the
individual.  In Gita Karma yoga is exhaustively discussed as a means for
purification or for jnAna yogyata Siddhartham - to be qualified for
jnaana yoga.

Karma as discussed in the pUrva mImAmsa - are they necessary? - for
jnAna yogyata? If that is the question then Shankara dismisses those
arguments in his above bhAShya on Sutra 1. The summary is it is not
necessary but it is helpful for purification, if done with right
attitude.

The bottom line is if you can gain the purity of the mind then you are
qualified for jnAna yoga or inquiry of Brahman.  The ball is in your
court.

Now just some clarification on your post. Please note that Brahman as
consciousness is substantive of all c's in your post.  This is the
essence of Mandukya Upanishad that we are studying. Hence the
body-mind-intellect as well as the life principle -both are within
consciousness.  In order to see that clearly only, we need a mind free
from vAsana pressure.  For that Karma yoga helps. I had posted few
months ago several posts on Karma yoga which you may like to study.

Hope this helps.

Hari OM!
Sadananda