[Advaita-l] Re: NOTES ON MANDUKYA UPANISHAD AND KARIKA: INTRODUCTION 6

Abhishek RK rkabhi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 10:43:59 CDT 2006

Namaste,
I generally concur but, I also agree with Sri Vidyasankar who
mentioned in an earlier mail that it is very difficult to clearly
distinguish between karma-kAnDa and j~NAna kAnDa throughout the entire
vedas.
Anyway, "...brahmavAdinaH pUrvAbhimukhAssandhyAyAM
gAyatriyAbhimantritA Apa UrdhvaM vikShipanti tA etA Apo vajrI bhUtvA
tAni rakShAgMsi..."
(taittirIya AraNyaka dvitIya prashnaM) forms the source for the karma
of sandhyAvandanaM. It is clearly mentioned here that "brahmavAdinaH"
are those who perform such and such a karma as mentioned in the
mantra.

Regards,
Abhishek

On 7/1/06, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian <rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com> wrote:
> The brahmavaadina.h in the yajur veda typically discuss the detail of
> some ritual or some meditation associated with it. While advaita (as
> we accept the term) accepts this as valid, rituals and meditation are
> indirect descriptions of the non-dual brahman. So it's a little
> different from the upanishads, which have the most direct way such as
> neti. neti, etc. The exposition in upanishads (direct) is what we
> typically call advaita these days.
> --

satyena dhAryate pRthvi satyena tapate raviH|
satyena vAti vAyushca sarvaM satye pratishThitam||

calA lakShmIshcalAH prANAshcalaM jIvita yauvanaM|
calAcale ca saMsAre dharma eko hi nishcalaH||